I started whipping this treat up on Valentines Day a afew years back for a dinner with friends. It was such a hit that I have been asked to make it each year. Serve it up for your sweety this Valentines Day!
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3 tablespoon(s) shortening
- 3 tablespoon(s) margarine or butter, (see direction step 1)
- 1/2 cup(s) margarine or butter, (see direction step 3)
- 6 ounce(s) semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup(s) heavy or whipping cream
- 3 large eggs
- White-Chocolate Hearts, for garnish (see directions below)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In bowl, stir flour and salt. With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in shortening and 3 tablespoons margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 3 tablespoons cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork just until mixture is moist enough to hold together.
- On floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into an 11-inch round. Press dough onto bottom and up side of 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Trim edge even with rim of pan. With fork, prick dough in many places to prevent puffing and shrinking during baking. Line tart shell with foil and fill with pie weights, dried beans, or uncooked rice. Bake tart shell 15 minutes; remove foil with weights and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer until golden. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Turn oven control to 350 degrees F.
- While crust is cooling, prepare filling: In 1-quart glass measuring cup, combine semisweet chocolate and 1/2 cup margarine or butter (1 stick); cover with waxed paper. In microwave oven, cook on High 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes until almost melted; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar and vanilla. In small bowl, with fork or wire whisk, lightly beat heavy or whipping cream and eggs. Blend some warm chocolate mixture into egg mixture; stir egg mixture back into chocolate mixture until blended.
- Pour warm chocolate mixture into tart shell. Bake 20 minutes or until custard is just set (center will appear jiggly).
- While tart is baking, prepare White-Chocolate Hearts (see below)
- Cool tart on wire rack; refrigerate to serve cold. Garnish with White-Chocolate Hearts.
- WHITE-CHOCOLATE HEARTS: With pencil, draw outline of 12 hearts, each about 1 1/2 inches all around, on piece of waxed paper. Place waxed paper, pencil-side down, on cookie sheet; tape to cookie sheet. Melt 1 1/2 ounces white chocolate*, coarsely chopped. Spoon warm white chocolate into small decorating bag with small writing tube; use to pipe heart-shaped outlines on waxed paper. Set aside to dry.